Monday, April 28, 2014

Why do I write? by Sandra Harvey


 









Growing up in Del Mar California, in a house on a cliff overlooking the Sea, with a Russian fortune-teller for a mother, and a Scot-Irish storyteller for a dad, writing just seems to be quite natural. I raised my own children romantically on imagined people and places. I am writing these stories now. As a life career I am a fashion designer making chef apparel for women.

I have self published three books.  My first, a Picture Book called 'Trizzella's Bedtime Picture Book' aka 'The Witch of Woods Cove' is a love letter to my children and the place they grew up - Laguna Beach. The story is beautifully illustrated, and colored in violet hues taking place completely at night to capture her essence, and summarizes who she is in a whimsical charming rhyme. My character Trizzella is a bit different because there are no adversaries to challenge her other then her own loneliness, but she makes it okay to be alone. Her story takes place only at night as she rewards children with fresh baked pies when they sneak out of their beds. But she does this in a innocent way. She is completely without guile with her affections towards children and animals. It is as if she has a secret knowing into their Souls.

With characters names like Violence Grace the knitting spider, E.Vil the cat, and Saint Huck the Murderous Hound, I am sure some parents might shy away from these character names but they are intended to be funny, after all cats are rather selfish and a bit evil, spiders do eat their mates, and hound dogs chase and often murder rodents. I am a parent myself and find wonderful fun when seeing children's faces light up in curiosity.

All the Trizzella projects, including The Picture Book series, cartoon animations, and applications are completely drawn and colored by Aaron Winterhalter
I have several projects under my Trizzella Character.  She is currently a picture book and a webtoon.

Why do I write what I do? 
I remember falling hopelessly in love at the young age of four years old, being overthrown in despair for my babysitters fiancĂ©. I loved him, I truly did, and from this recollection I write about the idea of love. I have learned from experience to never underestimate a child's romantic heart. 
I grew up around professional cooks and I have worked as a chef, so there are pies to be made, and Salt-water Taffy to be pulled. My personal career in fashion as a seamstress and clothing designer has played a very relevant role in this story. I know first hand that a sewing needle can perform outstanding and remarkable things, so I gave my character a golden sewing needle that represents a beautiful sort of magic, the power to mend and repair feelings, it can weave lyrical love knots and sew delicate blankets of stars.


In all the stories I write,  I touch on mature themes like autism, death and loss, but it works because it is relatable. That is the magic of fantasy, it takes truth and softens it.
I do not follow modern rules for genre or age that would restrict young children from all the wonderful things Art and Literature have for them. 


How does my writing process work? 
I have to have fresh flowers in view, Gardenia are preferred. I make a hot pot of tea with brown sugar and cream, I light scented candles and nestle into my black velvet couch with a comforter and my laptop. Its quite a ritual, but it's how I have operated for most my creative adult life. Be it designing clothes or paying my bills, I have this routine. I am most creative in the early hours, before the sun rises, before the song of the birds.



My Books are available online anywhere. 

Trizzella the with of Woods Cove Trizzella the Witch of Woods Cove
The Half Hearted Girl The Half Hearted Girl
Corazon of the Outer Banks Corazon of the Outer Banks