Thursday, October 2, 2014

Growing up Gothic

I was raised in a house by the Sea on Gothic Literature, Opera, and the songs of Johnny Cash. My father being Irish was always telling us scary stories about dark creatures and broken hearted ghosts wandering in the night looking for their loved ones...creepy for sure, but I loved it. He took us fishing into the deep South where he grew up, taught us to shoot a gun and a pistol (beer bottles on a log) and he made us feel protected and loved. I adored him and thought he was the handsomest man. My mother, being the elegant creature she still is, made sure we listened to classical music, and drank our Tea with a book. But is was her garden where I learned the most about her.

What I gained from the influence of both my parents allowed me to wander off into the darker realms of my own imagination and it formed me as a woman, and as a mother. I never knew what it was like to live in a house with beige walls or earth tones, our home was alive in color drenched hues of golds and violets.

I remember being terribly horrified by how boring most my friends homes were, sadly so were their Parents.
So of course I have raised my children on the very same dark and romantic stories of lost love and ghosts wandering down lonely highways. They love it as do I

No comments: